Saturday, March 5, 2011

word of the year... and gracie's new wall

I thought for a long time about what I wanted this year's word to be; in fact, it took me until sometime in February to finally settle on a word. Though I liked last year's word (which was "believe"--did I ever end up telling you that after I shared my goals?) and the inspiration it brought, I wanted to focus this year on something that made me feel joyful. And one of the things that gives me the most joy is creating things, so my word for this year is simple:


m a k e.


I want to explore new projects and finish old ones. I want to build and paint and sew and write and draw and make our house feel more and more like our home. Part of that will be creating things, and part of it will be "making" something else--time. For my children, for my sweetheart, for my spirit, and for the things that make me feel joy as an individual. So this year you can watch out for things that I've made.

I'll whet your appetite with some fabric wall decals I made for Gracie (after seeing her neighbor Faye's flowery room!). I've wanted something pretty over Gracie's bed that wouldn't potentially fall off and bonk her (we're from California, people--earthquakes are always on my mind!). It was really easy and really fun! First I cut out the flower shapes, and after consulting Faye's mommy, Page, I put them up with some liquid starch I whipped up after googling a how-to. They stuck perfectly and will peel right off without damaging the paint or the walls.




3 comments:

  1. Great word, and I love Gracie's wall! Oh sweet California, how I love that place. We still don't put things over our beds either. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those turned out great!! Her room looks so cute.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin