Sunday, January 11, 2015

What's the deal with the Mormons, anyway?

I get mixed responses when people find out I'm Mormon.

Some are excited: they knew a Mormon in high school or have a BFF who is Mormon, or their brother almost converted one time, or they had a neighbor whose mom used to make casseroles whenever anyone in a 3 mile radius got sick. (FYI: casserole-making is not a required Mormon skill. But it can be quite delicious.)

Some are visibly dismayed. (That's always so uncomfortable; sometimes I have to go home and talk to Steve about it and how sad/hurt/discouraged it makes me feel.)

But most people are just normal about it, and that's cool with me, too. Religion is incredibly personal--maybe the most personal thing there is--and I've never been one to push it on people who don't want to hear about it.

That said, I know a lot of people are curious--the missionaries, the beautiful but not-open-to-the-public temples, the fact that we abstain from drinking alcohol and even coffee...! It's different. So I thought it might be nice to share some of the basics, and open this up for conversation a little bit. If you have questions, I would LOVE to answer them for you, so feel free to leave a comment (anonymous is fine), write an email, or message me on facebook. I will do my best to answer anything I can for you, and if I don't know the answer I will try to find someone who does. :)

So, first things first:

Are Mormons even Christian? Do you accept Jesus Christ as your Savior???

Yes! The proper name of our church is The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (which does not imply sainthood in the Catholic sense, but just that we are followers of Christ).

We believe in God, our Eternal and loving Father in Heaven, and in his son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost. We also believe they are three separate beings, but with one common purpose. I cannot even begin to describe in one paragraph what my relationship with my Father in Heaven means to me, but I would be more than happy to share some experiences with you if you are curious as to how this affects my life.

And yes, we most definitely accept Jesus Christ as our Savior. Without him, there would be no way for us to bridge the gap between our imperfection and the opportunity of returning, perfected, to our Father in Heaven. There would be no way for us to move forward. His great love for us in performing the atonement is humbling and amazing and wonderful to me. What greater gift could there ever be?

Do you believe in/read the Bible?

Yes again! We use the King James translation of the Bible, which we believe is the most correct (a.k.a. closest to its meaning as originally written) translation.

We believe that the Bible is a critical and crucial book of scripture for understanding the life and doctrine of Jesus Christ, and all the many works, trials, tribulations, and miracles that came to pass on the earth from the beginning of creation. We read and discuss the bible regularly, and treasure it greatly. I particularly loved reading the stories of Christ's birth as we recently celebrated the Christmas season. Those are such beautiful, awe inspiring chapters.

If you believe the Bible is holy scripture, why do you have another book (The Book of Mormon)? What IS the Book of Mormon?

The Book of Mormon (the source of the nickname "Mormons") is intended to add to--not take away from, correct, argue with, or in any way devalue--the Bible. If you've ever seen a copy, you may have noticed the subtext, just below the title, which reads Another Testament of Jesus Christ.

We believe the Book of Mormon to be a translation of records kept by the inhabitants of the Americas before and around the coming of Christ. It is actually a pretty fascinating book--I'd be more than happy to send you a copy. You can also check it out right now online (read here or listen here) to see what it's like. (And, of course, there's even an app for that.)

Who is Mormon? Is he a deity? Do you worship him?

Mormon was one of the prophets and followers of Christ who wrote in the Book of Mormon. We do not deify or worship him, or anyone else in the scriptures save our Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ.

Do all Mormons believe the same things?

As in any faith, everyone has their own unique perspectives about many things, but the doctrine and teachings of our church are exactly the same everywhere on earth. You can walk into any church meetinghouse on Sunday, anywhere in the world, and they will all be teaching the exact same doctrine. This has been a wonderful gift to us as we have moved and moved and moved again during our 8 years of marriage--and always found that the church and the gospel were the same no matter where we were.

If you'd like a basic overview of the tenets the LDS faith is based on, read the (VERY SHORT!) 13 Articles of Faith. I promise, they are really short and to the point, and they'll give you a great picture of the foundations of the LDS gospel doctrine.

So... you have a prophet? What is his purpose in the church? Do you worship him?

We do have a living prophet. I know it might be strange to hear something like that off-hand, but bear with me and I will do my best to explain. You are, of course, welcome to ask me more questions if you have them.

Our current prophet is Thomas S. Monson. His purpose--in conjunction with a council of 12 other apostles who were called of God, and many, many others who serve on more local levels--is the same as that of prophets for hundreds and thousands of years: to give us revelation from God to guide us toward happiness here and now, and in the life after this world. He also serves as "president" of the church organization. Twice a year he and his counselors speak to a worldwide audience over the internet, cable TV, radio, and (later) in print, in a church-wide meeting (open to anyone) called General Conference. The next one is in April. We do not worship him. But we like and trust him. :) If you're interested in finding out what Thomas S. Monson is all about, you can see/hear/read a number of his General Conference addresses here.

The first prophet in this dispensation was Joseph Smith, who founded the church under the direction of the Lord in the 1800's. He did not decide to go out and start a church--he actually only knelt in prayer to ask which of the existing churches near his home he should attend. He was complex and imperfect, as we all are, but he was a strong good-hearted man who strove to perform every task Heavenly Father asked of him, even as he and his fellow church members experienced incredible violence and rejection from the surrounding community. You can read a short overview of his life story here. While we are incredibly grateful for his many sacrifices--including that of his own life as he was eventually martyred--and his commitment to helping further Christ's work on earth, we do not worship or deify Joseph Smith.

While I have made many poor decisions (and seen their not-so-great outcomes) under my own guidance in the course of my lifetime, I have always seen good and wonderful things come when I choose to follow the counsel of God given to us by the prophet.

Do you dislike/condemn/hate people who don't believe the same things you do?

No. We believe that God is a loving God, and that we are all his spirit children, sent to earth to learn and grow, to make choices and to be tested. We also believe that His greatest purpose and goal is to have as many of us as possible gain eternal life with Him. He loves us ALL and wants us ALL to be with Him. So, with that view and doctrine, we strive to love and befriend our fellow man, no matter what they believe.

At the foundation of the church in the early 1800's, the prophet Joseph Smith, was asked to lay out the basics our belief system, which he did in a brief 13-point statement called the "Articles of Faith." The eleventh article of faith addresses this question directly (emphasis added):
We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God, according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where or what they may.
We try very hard to be loving, kind, and respectful always, and, at least in my home, we don't pick and choose our friends based on whether or not they frequent Starbucks. ;) I think what draws us to the people we love most is who they are--the sense of common experiences, common goals, and common values, which are NOT exclusive to our church community. For example:

My best friend from middle school (who was also my lovely maid of honor) is Muslim, and she is one of the best, strongest people I know. Her faith inspires me. We have spoken many times about our love of God and how He has helped us through difficult times. I know when I talk to her that we are talking about--and know the love of--the same God. Steve and I also both have friends who are atheist or agnostic, and tons of friends whose lives and faith systems are different from our own in other ways. We love, respect, admire, connect with, and enjoy spending time with all these wonderful people. The differences between us are small compared to the vastness of our commonalities in the human experience, and we are grateful that they accept us into their lives as well.

We have joy in our lives, and we share our faith not to wrangle you unwillingly into sitting with us in church (though we are fun to sit by, if you ask me) but rather because we want the people we love to feel the love, protection, empowerment, and joy that we are blessed with as we seek to be followers of Christ.

Wait... are you sure you aren't all just hanging out judging everyone? Because I heard you guys were a bunch of haters...

Yeah, I'm sure we're not hanging out trying to judge everyone. You might know a hater or two, but for the most part we're a friendly, good-natured bunch--some people think we're too good natured, what with the Jello and the casseroles and all ;)--who are just trying our best to be good to the people around us. We as humans can be judgey, but one of the things we're taught at church is to strive to focus on fixing the proverbial "beams" in our own eyes instead of the "motes" in everyone else's. Not throwing stones in glass houses. Basically just leaving the judgment up to God, since He is the only one who can know a person's heart anyway.

Also, at the beginning of the organization of the LDS church, the Mormons were chased out of towns, had their houses burned down, and some, like Joseph Smith, were even killed for their beliefs. This is a painful part of our history, but also a reminder that we don't want to emulate that kind of treatment--on any scale--towards anyone else. (Hence that eleventh article of faith I mentioned earlier.) If you've had a bad experience with a member of my faith, I hope you'll meet someone who better exemplifies what we strive to be. (Which is, at a basic level, just nice.)

You haven't answered my burning question yet and now I'm frustrated.
> : | (that's an angry face)

Sorry--my kids just got up from their naps. (I know, I'm such a mom, right?) But if you have anything else you'd like to hear about from my perspective, please leave a comment, write me a note, shoot off an email or message me on facebook.

And in the meantime you can check out Mormon.org--you might find some more answers there. :)

3 comments:

  1. I too am Mormon but my awful experience with my ward in Winston-Salem really affected me. I never met a more judgmental cliquey group of people in my life. I have since moved and am starting to put together the fractured remnants of my testimony but I don't think I will ever be the same. I'm glad your experience is different. As a liberal, feminist, unsealed adult convert, I don't really fit in and 8 years in I don't think I'll ever be accepted by other Mormons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My heart hurts for you. I understand your wish to be anonymous, but I've been scouring my memory all morning hoping that I did not contribute to your experience. I am grateful for how eloquently and graciously you have expressed your struggle, and awed by the courage you have to not only convert (a leap of faith beyond what I have yet experienced) but to stick with it even as you felt unwelcomed. I have not been in your exact situation, but I have absolutely felt judgement and dealt with cliques, and even just with the day-to-day "fitting in" at church and in life! I think those two things are so much more hurtful in a church group, though, because you come in with an open heart hoping for the best. When Steve and I were first married, we were in a great ward with great people, but we were so lonely that it was painful for us to go to church every Sunday. We dreaded it. It wasn't that people were purposefully unkind, but just that they had already formed friendships, or (and this is where I often struggle myself when meeting new people) they didn't know how to approach us or felt stupid reaching out. We no longer fit in with our single friends (we were among the first to get married), and we didn't fit in with the new ward, and we weren't planning a family yet, so there were many things that made us feel different, awkward, and basically just "other." We've moved several times, and been in several different wards. It is always kind of awful at first, to be somewhere new, and I've found that I have to work very hard to form deep friendships (not only in our church groups, but outside as well). The thing that has worked best for me has been to give some of my vulnerability to people I hope to become friends with. This is incredibly hard and can be very painful, but I've recognized that when I share my flaws and fears, people feel like they can share theirs, too. I am careful, and try to listen to the Spirit about who I can offer this piece of myself to, because I don't want my heart beat up anymore than the next girl. But I've found that more often than not, we have more in common than we might think. And while sometimes the people learning the gospel struggle to follow it (and I am talking about EVERYBODY, not new converts, but ALL people in the church), I do have hope that as we keep learning we can each learn to love and empathize and befriend each other.

      I don't know if you'll come back to read this response, but if you do and you think I could be of help to you, I've got your back. Everyone struggles with their testimony, including me, and what keeps coming back to my mind today is that all I can do is try to keep my life centered on Christ and trust that the Spirit will help add to me the other things that I need. I hope the best for you mystery friend!

      Best of luck & much love,
      Jamie

      Delete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin