Monday, June 29, 2009

Half-Year (and NEW Year)


I love having a birthday that falls exactly in the middle of the year (tomorrow!). It gives me an opportunity to review and make new goals every six months, which is perfect because I usually forget what my goals were to begin with by 6 months out. So as I begin year twenty-four of my life, here is my half-year review of my '09 goals. I will be thinking about goals for year 24 and posting them soon.


This year's word:
DO

Progress:
I'm actually doing pretty well at doing things. I'm pushing myself to do things I am uncomfortable doing, either physically (exercise! less dessert!) or emotionally (making phone calls! moving across the country!). I am also savoring moments a lot more, really soaking up my mommy-baby time with Gracie girl. It is becoming painfully obvious that she's going to grow up very quickly and the cuddle time I get now is too precious to release. I am watching less TV, being online less, and adventuring out more. So all in all, I'm doing pretty good.

Thoughts:
I am amazed at how focusing on just one word has changed my outlook on things. It has helped me constantly press myself to be more active, accomplished, and confident. I began the year thinking "How am I going to do all this?" and now, only half way through, I feel empowered, and have a soul-deep knowledge that I can live my dreams. Cheesy, right? But though it might take a while to achieve each thing, I know I can do it.

Goal Review:



  1. Be a better mommy. I am feeling increasingly more "in control" of mommyhood. I have released a lot of worry about scheduling and making things perfect, and am focused instead on helping Gracie learn, grow, and explore (while keeping her safe, of course), and on her basic physical and emotional needs. She seems happy, so I guess that's all I need.


  2. Be a better wife: I guess we should ask Steve about this, but I think I'm doing pretty good.


  3. Write every day: This one I haven't been so good at. I am hoping once we are settled in NC in our own place I will be able to work this out more. I've still been writing a lot more frequently, though.


  4. Read the Book of Mormon by my birthday: I've revised this. I've never been much for reading by a deadline. So instead my goal is to read a chapter each day, and really ponder it. I go along annotating and underlining, and try to apply each lesson to my own life. I find this the most fulfilling way to read the scriptures, and I've been doing pretty well at being consistent.


  5. Get organized. Hmm. Well. Can't win them all.


  6. Take care of my body. Less desserts, healthier meals, and yoga. Feeling pretty good about this one.

And tomorrow, Disneyland! Woo hoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin