Once upon a time, not so long ago, I met this incredible guy drawing on a pumpkin. He made me laugh, and I loved that. And not too long after that I decided I loved everything else about him, too. He was the one I called when my parents explained that my dad had been diagnosed with cancer. He was the one who held me as eighty four miles away my dad went into surgery. He was the one who cooked me dinner, went with me to do laundry and buy groceries, and took me to chase the La Jolla sunset.
And sometime almost ten months later we set a date at the San Diego Temple, and started a summer of wedding plans--but we couldn't tell anyone, because he wanted to be sure I had the perfect diamond ring.
So we waited, but while we waited we planned our new life. We chose colors and checked out venues, talked about honeymoons and apartments. And I ached to tell everyone, but still the ring didn't come, and we waited.
And then one day, he invited me to go out to dinner--a fancy dinner--and I thought, "This is it!" And it was--but he kept me fooled for the whole evening, even though he had spent the morning literally chasing a UPS truck to be sure he got the ring delivered in time. He picked me up, and we went to do our traditional weekly baptisms at the temple. Then we went out for fondue at the Melting Pot. We sat close and talked, ate some of the most delicious food ever, and all the while he apologized that we couldn't tell people yet, and suggested we go watch a movie after dinner, and I kept thinking I was wrong, I was being silly, he wasn't going to do it tonight.

But then he took me to the beach, where we had our first real date, where we spent many late evenings talking about the things that really mattered to us. And he got down on his knee and asked if I loved him. And if I wanted to tell everybody. And he made a heart with his hands, and on his thumb was the ring.
It was the most perfect, peaceful, romantic evening I could have hoped for. And I am so lucky to have him.
That is seriously the sweetest thing ever! Oh, I just loved it.
ReplyDelete