Thursday, November 7, 2013

Today

Today this girl (who is sixteen days old!) was hungry.


Very hungry.

Yesterday, too.

For about the last five days I've been moving her gently onto a schedule, 3 hours from the start of one feed to the start of the next, and she latched on to it easily. She'd wake up, eat, and after being awake for about an hour, she'd be ready for a nap. In the evening she would eat a few feedings about 2 and a half hours apart (4, 6:30, and 9 or 9:30ish) and then sleep straight through until 3 or 4am.

But yesterday, she just got hungry. A lot. Lots of two-ish hour apart feedings, more night wakings. And she just had trouble finding a contented sleep.

This morning my only goal was to take a nap sometime during her usual nap from 8:30 to 10. I put on Daniel Tiger for Charlie and curled up on the couch, but our sweet girl couldn't settle herself. And she keeps getting hungry. Like legit hungry. And I know she's getting about 3oz per feed, which is 50% more than most newborns need. :)

But its okay. We have nowhere to go, and I'm tired anyway, and outside it looks like this:


So we've just snuggled down for the morning.

Charlie isn't wearing pants, because Mama is too tired to keep up with the on-and-off. But he doesn't mind.


("Can you take my picture Mama?")


Sweet girl is, luckily, very adorable. Her hunger-cry sounds like a giggle, like Gracie's did. And her brother is happy to stand over her and help with her diaper changes.


I love all her chubs and creases. Look at her neck folds!


A few days back I set up our diaper change basket so we don't have to leave the family room mid-feed to wake her up with a fresh one. Charlie likes to choose which diaper she gets (they all have baby Sesame Street characters on them) and also feels very proud to throw the changed-diaper into the trashcan.


We've mostly been camped out on the couch, right here, surrounded by pillows, the Boppy, various burp cloths, my water bottle, the baby monitor, her swaddle blanket and hat, various blankets and my iPad or laptop where I've been browsing blogs and Pinterest during our marathon feedings.


Charlie and I snuggle under "the brown blanket" (Steve and I got it for our wedding and it is everybody's favorite--Charlie specifically requests it, and Steve and I kind of fight over it when we're laying down separately and both want a blanket) and we pop Juliette's Boppy on top of my lap and I feed her.


Loved having these sweet little people cuddled up close to me all morning.


...though we did watch a lot of PBS.


The nice things about being trapped under a baby all day: she smells yummy, she is soft, she giggle-cries, she moves her little face frantically when she senses food is nearby, she is warm and holdable and perfect for a cold Fall day, and I get to admire her up close, like the seashell shape of her pretty pink baby-ears and the little bit of bed-head hair sticking up that I couldn't flatten down.


Charlie would periodically stop to tell me that he needs more Halloween candy (just to put in his bucket, not to eat--he is obsessed with his bucket lately) or that he could use this spinny light-up Halloween toy to check my eyes for me and see if they were healthy.



Apparently it is good for checking ears, too.

Also, this has been my view:







I am tired down to my bones, but how can I not be happy when this is my day? :)

2 comments:

  1. She is absolutely beautiful! Congrats to you all! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm kinda jealous............you actually know HOW and when to relax and take it easy. A whole day of snuggles, giggle/cries, PBS, blankets and water. It's exactly what you SHOULD be doing. I think I try to hurry and move on so fast, get the baby on a schedule that works for the family, etc ,etc. that this post looks pretty dreamy to me. I BET you are tired to the bones. 2 weeks postpartum is usually when you're forgotten and the novelty of new baby has worn off. ;) So even though you're bone tired and almost JUST as tired (if not more) then at the beginning, the extra help/attention has worn off. But seriously, you got some GREAT awake pictures of her. She really is such eye candy to look at!!!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin