Tuesday, July 17, 2012

I guess this means I'd visit Ikea in every state.

So I didn't mention, because I pretty much didn't want to post on the internet that our house was empty, but Steve did an away rotation for 4 weeks of June/July in San Antonio. Rather than hang out lonely and single-parenting in North Carolina, I hopped a plane with the kids and went to stay with Steve's parents for almost three weeks. It was SO fun, and I was shocked at how quickly the time passed! I felt like I'd barely been there a week when we were boarding a plane once more, bound for home.

Part of the reason it passed so quickly was that we partied so hard! And of course, you know me, I had to go to Ikea, even on vacay. Sadly, there isn't an Ikea in every state. California, however, is abundantly stocked with them, and has at least three that I have been to. So about a week into our trip we planned a fun and busy day with Ems, and Steve's mama and I took the kids up to meet her and the little cousins at Ikea. (Steve's dad, who hates the maze-like entrapment/glory of Ikea, opted to stay home.)

We started with lunch...


I know you've seen this picture before, but I kind of love it.

Then we put these two blondies (Maverick and Charlie) in a stroller, and they got pulled over to be complimented on their good behavior, and asked if they were brothers. (They are 10 months apart, so I guess it would be possible! Yikes!) Notice Maverick, who played with that lint roller almost the entire time we were there.


And the girlies (Gracie and her cousin, who she calls "my Adelaide") were corralled in a cart together, eating Altoids from Mimi's purse (that's grandma's name) and slowly being surrounded by pillows, kitchen items, and toys.



Gracie took a while to warm up to the Altoids.

I picked up a few things for home, sad that I could only take things that would fit in our suitcase. Someday maybe we will live close to an Ikea again. I know, my life goals are weird.

After a successful shopping trip, we headed back to Mimi's house for naps and snacks and playing with toys and a little bit of bickering when sharing became problematic. And then it was off to the Santa Cruz Boardwalk!



The girls were in heaven holding hands with Mimi and Grandpa, and riding on the rides for hours.






Grandpa Curt made this fabulous video of them. I LOVE Gracie's hair whipping in the wind as they swing around in that little race car!







And at the end of the evening, Emily and I left the kiddos with their grandparents and we sneaked away to ride an old fashioned roller coaster. We held hands and squealed like teenage girls on the dips, which were perfectly constructed to make your stomach drop every time.


Which is pretty much all a girl could ask for, isn't it?

2 comments:

  1. If your life goal is to live near IKEA, don't move here! We went once, and the drive was not fun. That is one bad thing about San Antonio... every time I go somewhere, and the map says it will take me a certain number of minutes to get there, it always takes way longer than it says. Enjoy traffic-less Winston-Salem!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have missed your blog! I just got a chance to get caught up. My life feels better, now. More complete.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin