Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Lifehacks Part 2 & Asking the Audience (That's You)

Last spring I asked you for your lifehacks and shared some of mine. I am still loving my vinegar/water solution (best grease cutter EVER), google calendaring and syncing with Steve's gcalendar, meal planning, enjoying the handiness of baskets (especially for optimizing space in our too-small freezer) and trying to keep to my laundry days.

I loved hearing what everyone had to say about their lifehacks, so I thought it might be time to ask (and share) again. Here are mine; don't forget to share yours.

  • Jarred and Bottled Ingredients. Oh my word. How much do I hate trying to "mince" garlic (and how your hands always smell like garlic afterward), remember to buy limes, and keep a basil plant alive? So much. Which is why these little guys are my kitchen BFFs. Way less perishable, more convenient, and easy to have on hand just in case. LOVE THEM.







  • Coupons. Who would have ever thought that I would get in to coupons? I have occasionally looked at blog posts where women go in to six different stores and come out with tons of free food--this has TERRIFIED me for years. How on earth to get to that many stores with that many coupons with kids in tow? But I decided to simplify. I only coupon at one store (our local Harris Teeter), and I use a very helpful blog (Southern Savers) that details which coupons to use with which sale items. I occasionally even find some good deals on my own. I am starting slow, but its pretty fun. And I can usually find cereal for $1, which is great because we eat a ton of that stuff.
    .
  • Baskets and Boxes. Still love these. Our bookcases all have a ton of boxes and baskets, because we have a lot of junk (see next lifehack....). So Gracie's toys in the family room? Get tossed in a basket. Steve's video games? Basket. Shoes by the door? Bills to be paid? Mail? Diapers? Yes. All hidden in baskets and/or boxes.
    .
  • Purging. Steve and I have been married for less than five years. We have lived in 5 different homes. And that means we have packed a LOT, and I know just how much STUFF we have. So, though my nature tends more towards pack-rat-ism, I am now boldly trying to embrace the philosophy that if I have no use for it, I throw it away. Even with sentimental stuff. If it is taking up space and never gets used, we take a picture of it and give it to Goodwill or toss it. Obviously there are some things we can't toss (baby hats, wedding dress, etc.) but lots of other things have been kissed goodbye. That said, I still keep WAY too much stuff. This is a work in progress.
    .
  • Baby Wipes. Not just for bums. These things are great for cleaning any surface, at home or abroad.
    .
  • Compartmentalized Purse. Most diaper bags are ugly or bulky. Mine was cute but huge, and I got tired of lugging it around. I got a cute purse at Target with three compartments--the middle one has a zipper. Diapers, wipes, changing pad, and Charlie's emergency change of clothes go in the zipper pocket. Usable things like hand sanitizer, wallet, and phone in the front, and less used stuff (a book, umbrella, whatever the day requires) in the compartment in the back.
    .
  • Keys on a Carabiner. This is my number one mommy-sanity-saver. I was CONSTANTLY losing my keys in my purse and trying to dig through it to find them with a child on my hip. NO MORE. I put my keys on a carabiner and clip it to either one of the rings on the strap of my purse or, if I'm unloading kids/groceries/whatever, I clip them to my belt loop. Easy access, I can see them at all times, and no more delving to the depths of my bag to retrieve them.
    .
  • One at a Time. Though I do constantly walk through the house gathering things, I only really try to get one room really clean at a time. I work on the kitchen, do all the dishes, etc. and THEN move on to something else. So that at least one room looks nice even if the rest are still works in progress.
    .
  • Keeping Up Appearances. And on that same vein, guess what? People who are home all day? Their houses get messy. (That's right!!! You're not the only one! I only just figured this out.) Our house gets especially thrashed on the weekend. Because mama takes a day off from cleaning. :) So if you come over, and you think, WOW! THEIR LIVING ROOM LOOKS SPOTLESS!!! it is because I have either (1) enlisted the troops for a real house cleaning or (more likely) (2) cleaned up only that room because I knew you were coming. :)
    .
  • Picking a Parking Spot. When I had Grace, I became incapable of finding my car in a parking lot. So I now park in the same row every time I go to a store. I have a row at Marshall's, Target, Harris Teeter, and anywhere else I frequent. So I just walk down that aisle and eventually I run into my car. :)
So tell me, what do YOU do to stay sane?

6 comments:

  1. YES! Life hacks post! My FAVORITE! I just read your car finder trick out loud to gabe because last week i truthfully wandered around fred meyers parking lot for 45 minutes with an armful of groceries and a huge bundle of paper towels....because I could NOT find the car. Im totally going to pick a row. BRILLIANT!
    And Couponing is the best - im so glad you are giving it a try! I only coupon certain things: shampoos, diapers/wipes, and makeups. It saves a lot of sanity to pick and choose the deals that are important to you.

    Have you made your own baby wipes yet? Laundry soap? Shampoo? Baby Wash/powder/oil or diaper creams ???? I love homemade organic stuff. Better smelling and super easy to do!

    You probably already do this, but instead of buying baby foods when Spencer moved to solids, I would just slap-chop whatever we were eating. You can make just about anything into the right consistency with them! He seriously ate whatever we were having. It was so much better than buying dumb little finger foods or jarred stage 3s.

    One of my recent tricks has been making green smoothies into popcicles. I had no luck trying to get my kids to drink them - but in popcicle form even spencer will eat them. I blend up flax seeds, spinach, kale, carrots, peas, fruits, pumpkin, avocado -seriously whatever - and freeze them in popcicle containers from walmart. I even let brigitte eat them for breakfast if she wants because they are SO healthy.

    thats all I got. Cant wait to read the other comments!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jamie, I love you life hacks and have been preparing this comment for a few days now. I pride myself on my time management so I figure I must have some of these to share. Anyway, here's what I've recognized so far.

    1. Do one thing at a time. This is the more universal version of your cleaning routine. Though multi-tasking seems like an efficient idea, doing only one thing at a time is way faster in the end. I live by this rule in everything I do. And it helps you prioritize the more important things. Dumb stuff seems dumber when you only focus on it and so you give it up.

    2. Put things away! I never spend time looking for things because everything is where it belongs.

    3. You've probably figured this one out, but invest in a hamper that has different slots for different laundry loads, a sort as you dirty kind of thing. Now I just dump one slot in the laundry basket and worry about the other slots on another day.

    4. Do everything you can think of the night before. Morning minutes are somehow shorter than all the rest, so before I leave school at the end of the day I prepare my boards for the next day's lessons. I should also make my lunch the night before, but only manage this one occasionally.

    5. A recent turn of events has left the computer in my classroom out of commission. I have found now that having to walk to the staff lounge to use a computer makes me realize I don't really need to use it so much. Consequently, I get way more done in my prep. So the lesson is, staying away from your computer, even for one solid hour, allows you to get TONS done.

    Sorry this was long. I love hearing these!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not on top of my life enough to have hacks right now!

    But here is one.

    I hate dealing with raw meat. So when I buy a ton of chicken for a good deal, I come home and put it all in the crock pot with some salt or garlic or something. When it's cooked I cube and freeze it all. That way I always have cooked chicken ready for dinners, and I never had to touch the raw meat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mine is super basic and you kind of mentioned it in your hacks, but when I straighten the house after kids are in bed I quickly survey the areas that need to be picked up. Then are start with the EASIEST one FIRST(usually the living room)and quickly pick up. Not only does it get me in the cleaning mode, but then whenever I walk by that room at least one room is done and makes me happy.

    Set a timer and push yourself to see how fast you can complete a task. The other day I cleaned my full bathroom and the 1/2 bath in just over 20 minutes (during nap time of course), I was so proud of myself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Humm...

    My life is SO flexible now that this is a stretch.

    I'm pretty sure you already to most of these but here are my favs:

    1. We have a vitamix and it has changed our lives. Smoothies with everything Christie puts in the popcicles blend it up, delish breakfast.
    2. I have a folder that has a section for everytihng, money, cars, loans, school etc. and if something relates to one of those categories and is important i put it in there.
    3. I plan my do-to list for the next day before I go for bed. It also helps me wake up in the morning because I already know everything I have to accomplish that day.

    Thats it for now! I loved all the tips!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin