Monday, August 3, 2009

Couponing???

Does anyone else have trouble finding any logic in the whole "couponing" deal? I have tried to get started on it several times, but every time I start looking through coupons I realize that few of the products we actually buy ever have coupons, with the exception of cereal. So any time I start looking through coupons I start exclaiming to myself over Pillsbury biscuits and etc., only to pause and realize that we don't eat those. We try to eat healthy, low cost, fresh-as-possible foods, and try to keep away from over-processed foods as much as possible...

So I am at a loss. It seems like it takes hours of time for very little money-saving. Is there any point to my pursuing this?

Here is a bare-minimum typical Walton shopping list for summertime... Tell me your thoughts.

milk
cheddar
parmesean
eggs
yogurt
butter

seasonal fruit
bananas
apples
romaine or green leaf lettuce
potatoes
lots more fruits & veggies
apple sauce

frozen veggies
frz skillet meal/frz pizza (we give ourselves a "lazy night" once a week)
frz boneless, skinless chicken breast

wheat bread
wheat bagels
cereal

pasta
pasta sauce

Obviously we also occasionally have to buy those things you keep on hand all the time, like sugar/flour/baking powders, oils, chocolate chips, etc. Hmmm. I just don't know.

3 comments:

  1. It was so fun to have you come along for a run this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm no help. You're right its never stuff you actually buy. If you figure out a trick let me know.

    PS: I'm going to be wanting some "after pics" of the apartment soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are right that if you don't buy the stuff, it is a waste of time and if having a coupon makes you buy something you wouldn't ordinarily it is a waste of money. That being said, I do save money with coupons. Internet coupons (coupons.com or some site like that) is a relatively quick and painless way to "clip" and you only print the ones you will actually use.

    Looking at your list, there are regularly coupons for cheese (often shredded or sliced, but if you can combine it with a sale, it is often cheaper than block cheese), yogurt, breakfast cereals, frozen meals, pasta, and pasta sauce. They also pop up occassionally for frozen veggies.

    For produce, meats and milk, you may have more luck with store coupons (ones in the fliers that come from Safeway, Albertson's etc.) Just two days ago, I came across store coupons for Lean ground turkey that made it $1.60 per pound and bagged romaine lettuce for .99.

    Even if it isn't what you normally eat, it might pay to stock up some canned vegetables, canned fruits, canned beans, granola bars for emergency storage and coupons can help with that.

    But honestly coupons really save you the most on non-food items--toiletries, cleaning products, cosmetics, paper towels, toilet paper, diapers (there are always diaper coupons).
    The trick is to watch for sales and combine your coupons with them.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin