Sunday, August 9, 2009

Med School: Week 1


So, Steve made it through his first week of med school. And there was much rejoicing.

We celebrated his finishing the first day with a family-recipe cheesecake I whipped up while he was at school, complete with the words YAY STEVE written in chocolate chips across the top. Thursday we celebrated by going to a baseball game with a good portion of his med school class & some of his professors. Then yesterday morning I cooked up some Pillsbury orange sweet rolls, which are Steve's Christmas morning breakfast of choice, and therefore a big treat. I wanted to do it up right--we've been waiting for this week since we got married!

He also celebrated by getting very sick, so that he could enjoy a guilt-free day in bed with no studying and all-you-can-watch Office episodes on Hulu. In all seriousness, though, it was really sad. I'd come it and find him always in the same position, tucked under a blanket and curled around his laptop. He's on antibiotics and thinking of going in to the doctor today; his throat is killing him. :(

As to school itself, though, Steve is loving it. It is intense, but he works hard and is really interested in all his classes. He's also mentioned being impressed that the curriculum is so cohesive at Wake. All his classes are sort of interrelated, so it makes studying and learning easier and more natural.

He started the cadaver lab on Tuesday, and will be doing it every day for the next several months. Right now they are working on the back, examining all the muscles and the spine. He says it is really interesting. One thing I really like, is that they are really respectful of the bodies, and even do a memorial service for the families of the donors at parent's weekend in October. I thought that was really special.

Well Gracie is napping, Steve is climbing back into bed (its only 10am, poor thing) and I am TIRED, so I'm going to curl in in the armchair in our sunroom and read a magazine. :) Love you guys.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for giving me my newest craving- now I NEED some orange cinnamon rolls but I guess I'll have to wait until tomorrow.

    I hope Steve is feeling better soon and I'm glad you guys are settled in your new home. Call me sometime!! xoxo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the update Mrs. Walton. I LOVE LOVE LOVE to hear what you guys are up to. It is wierd to for me to think that we're not going to be coming to waffle night in a week or two. tear. tear. (I did seriously get a bit sad that i'm not going to see you guys for awhile).
    Poor Steve. I was sick too. For my 24th b-day. So lame...i feel his pain.
    Miss you guys!
    PS: Loved your comment on my blog, you're just so funny

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOOO! I think Orange Rolls will be our new Christmas morning tradition :) Tell Steve to feel better! We are so excited for you guys. What an adventure!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin