Saturday, July 11, 2009

Homeward Bound

As I write this Steve is driving through some part of the Texas panhandle, on his way to a hotel in Amarillo. He, his pop, and his brother Eric left my parents' place yesterday morning and got all the way out to Winslow, Arizona (of Eagles fame... anybody know that song? My mom was trying to explain it to me.). They took a quick detour to the Grand Canyon last night, and one to the petrified forest this morning. Sadly, they missed out on staying at the Wigwam Hotel in AZ, but they were happy to see it along Route 66.

Today they crossed all of New Mexico (apparently there's not much to see if you aren't planning on visiting Roswell) and they should make it to our new home in Winston-Salem by this coming Wednesday! I can't believe it is really happening, really this close. Driving away from Encinitas this week was so surreal--to me it still feels like home, more than any other place I've lived. Strange to think we won't be heading back there when we say we're going "home" now. But as sad as it is to leave the people we love, we are also so excited at the prospect of a new start, a new place, a new life, and a new home. And for Steve to finally get to start medical school.

Woo hoo!!!!!!!

Gracie and I are soaking up a last few days in OC with my parents, and I'm missing Steve (and remembering how exhausting single parenting can be, even with an amazingly good baby!). But I'm happy that he's with his guys, enjoying evenings of pizza, the Simpsons, and probably a good deal of humor about gaseous emissions. :p It's nice to hear his voice on the phone and know he's happy, but I can't wait to get out there and meet him!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin