Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Musical Question: Who are the People in Your Neighborhood?

Don't we look friendly (in our neighborhood)?

As Steve and I worked on weeding the yard this morning (he didn't have to work until 1 today) I suddenly started singing a song from Sesame Street* called People in Your Neighborhood. Remember that one? It goes...

Oh, who are the people in your neighborhood?
In your neighborhood?
In your neigh-bor-hood?
Oh, who are the people in your neighborhood,
The people that you meet each day?

And then goes on to list some of the people in your neighborhood, like dentists and firemen and such.

But as I started singing that, Steve said, "Do we even know anybody in our neighborhood?" Which, to be honest, we kind of don't. So we started singing the people in our neighborhood to each other, and we were cracking up**.

I don't know if it can be as funny to anyone else as it was to us in the moment, but in case you're wondering these are the people in our neighborhood (yes, we sang all of these things to each other):
  • Nancy and Jean-Claude,
  • The Meditation People***,
  • The people whose dog comes into our back yard,
  • The guy at the mailbox who doesn't like to smile,
  • A guy who does the treadmill at four o'clock [in his garage] with the garage door halfway open,
  • The Asian family with a dog named Zoe,
  • People with strollers who don't want to talk, and
  • An old guy walking a dog [who he might not actually like]!
Ohhhh these are the people in our neighborhood, in our neighborhood, in our neighborhood...! ...the people we don't meet when we're walking down the street, the people we don't meet each day!

To be fair, though, I did meet some fairly fabulous moms at the park yesterday. Sweet.


* Yes, I randomly burst into song often.

** Weeding without song is not as entertaining.

*** We know only that they live next door, have a meditation room, and have giant Buddha-head statues in their front yard; they appear to be white and therefore are probably kind of posers, but whatever, to each his own. Except the statue heads scare me at night.

3 comments:

  1. Jamie, I wanted to vote on your thing but I didn't see my favorite, "It's Hip to Be a Square."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this. Thank you for the flashback into my childhood! And sadly we know EVERYONE in our neighborhood. They are ALL in our ward! Its funny, but kind of NOT when someone says "hey Christy - our master bedroom window faces your master bathroom window! Tell Gabe!" As in - tell Gabe to get a towel!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have a Meditation Neighbor, too. The first time I saw him wear shoes was during the cold snap we had. Were they shoes or socks? Maybe they were socks.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin