So I have a question for all you mommies...
At 4.5 mos, Gracie's daytime is currently a two-hour sleep schedule (she goes down for a nap about 2 hrs after she wakes up from the last one) and is still on an on-demand feeding schedule (which sometimes means she eats every two hours, sometimes every three or four). My mom is a big proponent of by-the-clock scheduling, and my doctor is pretty much the opposite and recommends on-demand everything. As of right now we are kind of a combo, with on-demand feeding/and semi-on-demand napping during the day but a specific bedtime routine and bed schedule (and she sleeps through the night, yay!).
But I just don't know which daytime scheduling way is the best for Gracie, so I'm wondering what everybody else is doing. Are you an on-demander, a BabyWiser, a clock watcher? Please share (and you mommies who have more grown up babies, please share as well)!!!

I'm pretty much an on-demand during the day type. My kids at least, and maybe I'm just lucky, fell into their own routine as far as nap times give or take about forty minutes. I'm also all about a bedtime routine. They are fantastic and totally help out as the kid gets older. I'm pretty much for a standard bedtime but if the kid needs it a little early I'm not against it. Owen actually moved his bedtime up an hour over the course of a year.(this is Jenna's sister by the way, I saw the scheduling question on her site and couldn't resist)
ReplyDeleteI too have ended up a pretty much on-demand kind of parent, but I just can't seem to get Tyson to eat at a scheduled time. The only thing I am a time watcher on is bedtime, same as you we have our night-time routine and then Tyson sleeps through the night. But, as far as naps go I'm just glad he takes a nap and usually it is him just zonking out some where (usually in the apartment, sometimes in his car seat). Usually he ends up taking his nap within an hour or so around the same time every day, but it is just kind of what he has developed. I too am struggling with this concept though... especially as we're starting to try to do potty training!
ReplyDeleteI was a on-demand mom, too. Not so much at night, but definately during the day when nursing and before solids were completely incorporated into their diet. It depended on the baby, too. Taylor was just fussy. Josh and Maddie only fussed when they were tired or hungry. I think I was more on-demand with the last two as I knew they were really hungry/tired and not just colicky. Is Gracie on solids yet? (I know the dr.s keep changing the timing of food introduction). When she is, she'll go much longer between feedings. I agree with Lani and Amanda on the bedtime schedule. A must for the sanity of every mom!
ReplyDeleteBrigitte eats every 3 hours during the day and takes 3 naps ( 1 hour morning nap, 3 hour afternoon nap, and 1 hour pre-bedtime nap!) She also sleeps through the night and goes down by 8 and gets up varying between 6-8:00. If she wakes up early I feed her and put her back to bed! Im guessing Gracie will put herself on a similar schedule (they tend to do that). I couldnt do on-demand feeding because she would eat 24 hours a day. After about 6 weeks of that I switched over to babywise to save my sanity! Babies will get in the habit of nursing ALL the time if you let them. Often they arent hungry but want comforted, are sleepy, etc. Brigitte started sucking her thumb at 6 weeks too so that helped get her on a schedule. I say whatever makes you and your baby happy! You cant really go wrong!
ReplyDelete