I had prayed. Pleadingly. I had cried until my veins should have run dry. And the reward, it seemed, was a consuming black emptiness.
Then, like a sudden pinpoint of light, I remembered: I'm pregnant. There is a tiny person in me. I am literally never alone.
And then, right on the heels of that thought, the recognition that even if I weren't pregnant, the truth would never change: I am never alone. None of us are. We have a Father in Heaven who knows us and loves us and watches out for us all the time. We have a Savior, brother, who has felt each exact pain, who can understand and empathize with everything we ever feel, no matter how we hurt.
The feeling--the sadness, the loneliness--didn't evaporate, but my knowledge of its falsehood changed my heart. I thought of it again today.
I've been spoiled the last few months by getting to wake up to sunshine, with my sweetheart sleeping next to me and the kids giggling in one of their rooms.
Today, Steve having kissed me goodbye in the dark many hours before as he left for his first shift of residency, I woke up alone. I didn't expect it to affect me as much as it did, but I went through the first half of the day frantic to be busy, to keep moving, to stave off the clawing homesickness that kept inching into my heart. He was three miles away, but I missed him enough for a thousand. And again, I felt an ache that threatened to take me over.
But feeling it doesn't make it real. I am not alone. We are not apart. We are not unguided. I don't have to do anything in the days and years ahead on my own. And neither does he.
For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the Lord. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.
Isaiah 55:8-9
Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.
John 14:27
I know the feeling. It doesn't help when your best friends are all hours away. Miss you :(
ReplyDeleteMadeline
Satan is VERY cunning.
ReplyDeleteYa know, I've done that too w/ pregnancy or the week before "that time " of the month, when I get down and wonder WHAT THE HECK IS WRONG WITH ME?!?! Then it makes me feel validated a tad and helps me get over a lot of feelings to realize, oh yea, THIS is not real is because of __________. Even if it wasn't, it still helps me get over it.
Such a sweet post.