I'm trying to group these Pinterest challenge things together for continuity's sake. And so you don't read about nail polishing Barbies and freezing fruit in the same post. Weird. So this time I've got a bunch of small and simple Gracie-related things I've worked on over the past couple of weeks. :)
(If you're confused why this starts at #4, see the rest of my Pinterest challenge stuff here.)
4. End Nagging and Negotiating with Three Simple Words
source: Positive Parenting Solutions
worth doing again: Ohhhhh yes.
I saw this charming little title pop up on Pinterest (captioning a little girl with clasped hands and a sad puppy face) and I had to take a peek. NO MORE NAGGING?! What?!?!
And the solution was so simple. When your kiddo starts to re-ask the same question or beg pleeeeeease or otherwise negotiate, you just say, "Asked and answered." And make that the end of the conversation. You already asked, I already answered, and that is THAT.
I tried this with Miss Gracie, and I was shocked that it worked. Sure, she hates it--usually she her brow gets all furrowed and sometimes she pouts a little. But no more whining/begging; she knows its not worth the effort.
The only pitfall, is that it just sounds so motherish. I usually just say, "Already answered." As if that is much better. Still, worthwhile for the peace it brings to car rides, dinner tables, and etc.
5. Mommy and Me Journal
source: Mama Jenn
worth doing again: yes
I've been looking for ways to connect with Grace and make her feel special, and this is right up her alley. We started by choosing pictures of things we like, and Gracie cut them out and glued them to the front of our journal. I like that she chose the chocolate chip cookie and Target on her own. That's my girl.
The original poster made this up as a sort of letter-writing exchange with her daughter, but since Gracie girl is mostly just writing short sentences, we also draw pictures in ours.
We've been trading back and forth for a couple weeks now. We usually each do a picture or two each week, and I always leave it for her to find after she's fallen asleep. So far it is a big hit with both of us. I LOVE the sweet things she draws and writes to me, and I can tell she likes having something special between just me and her.
6. Nail Polish Clothes for Nude Barbies
source: Good Ideas and Tips
worth doing again: yes
I will be the first to admit that when I saw people posting Barbies with nail polished shorts and t-shirts on Pinterest, I thought it was a little much. Who cares, right?! They are plastic dolls. But then Gracie started wanting to change all her princesses' clothes, which meant that usually they all ended up in some stage of undress. And it kind of weirded me out having all these naked (and, hello, totally unrealistic! Are you telling me Belle would have NO muffin top after eating those French palace feasts every night?) bodies laying around ALL THE TIME. Like, they were literally never clothed.
I wanted them to still be fashion forward and able to wear their ball gowns, so instead of shirts and shorts I improvised some nail polish bathing suits instead. Gracie was okay with it and very excited to pick the colors herself--she even watched me paint them and insisted on checking on them several times during the 24-hour drying period. Now the girls (Snow White, Belle, and Rapunzel from left to right) spend a lot of time swimming, and we no longer have to send them to a French beach for that to be socially acceptable.
7. Perler Bead Patterns
source: EK Success Brands Perler Gallery
worth doing again: yes
Steve and I grabbed some perler beads and their matching pegboards at Ikea last time we went (only at Ikea they are called Pyssra or something) and Gracie immediately fell in love. When I was looking up ironing instructions (the Ikea pictographs didn't do it for me) I came across a Pinterest board of patterns, and tried a Hello Kitty for my little HK fan. (She takes it to bed with her!)
Then I copied a rainbow.
Then Steve started hassling me, so now I do my own original bead art, too, when we have our post-lunch crafting sessions. But the copied ones always turn out better. And go much faster. :)
.jpeg)
.jpeg)
.jpeg)
.jpeg)
.jpeg)
.jpeg)
You are like my Pinterest filter!!!! Soooo excited for all of these!!!!
ReplyDeleteI need to do a Pinterest challenge too!
ReplyDeleteSo fun! I remember loving perler beads as a kid! Just the other day I was wondering if Ellie might be old enough for perler beads.
ReplyDelete