Monday, April 30, 2012

Preschool

Last September a group of us mamas (me, Suzi, Robyn, Emily, and Kara) started teaching a once-a-week preschool for our 3-year-olds at our houses on Wednesday mornings. We used a curriculum called Mother Goose that the kids really enjoyed, but if I were to do a second year I think it would be more fun to make up our own curriculum.

For my last day (two weeks ago) I got to choose my own topic, and it was so fun! We talked about bugs. After circle time (weather, letter of the day, flag salute, etc.) we played some bug games, like follow-the-leader marching while singing The Ants Go Marching. I also had them play "moths" by following the beam from a flashlight around the room. They thought this was hilarious.

For snack time we had ants-on-a-log (with apples instead of celery, because we don't have celery fans):


Then everyone drew pictures of bugs (...or their families ...or themselves):


And posed for the camera:




We also made puff ball caterpillars:


And of course, we ended the day with a rousing game of dress-up. Since there were only three that day, I let them break out the super fancy dresses.



It has been fun and exhausting for us mamas, but the morning off when it wasn't our day was great, and our kids have REALLY loved it. Two of our group are moving in May, and Gracie will be off to real preschool in the Fall, so it has been bittersweet to have these last few weeks. These girls have been together for co-op babysitting every Wednesday since they were babies!




Preschool "graduation" is coming up this Wednesday!

1 comment:

  1. Co-op babysitting/pre pre-schooling is such a good idea. I'll have to file this idea away for if we ever have kids.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin