Tuesday, January 17, 2012

made: crocheted scarves

Beginning sometime in October, I started carrying yarn and a crochet hook around with me everywhere I went. I crocheted at friends' houses, at Gracie's dance class--I would have crocheted at church if that was kosher, but I don't think it is... If you know the rules on that let me know.

Since Charlie was born not much more than a week before Christmas last year, we bought all our gifts, so this year I was excited to hand make some! I had three scarves to do before Christmas, and though it took a lot of time, I found it very fun and rewarding.

This is the one I made for my sister-in-law, Emily. I had started making it before the fam decided to draw names this year, so I switched with Steve to get her so I could still give it to her while it was cold enough to wear it!

Also self-photography is awkward. Forehead. So much forehead. I'm trusting you to focus on the scarf.


It is called a crocodile stitch. It was very time intensive, but it came out so pretty I almost kept it. Just kidding. But I was pretty happy with it. Here's a detail shot.


I made one the same color for my mama. This was a much simpler pattern, so I made it nice and long. I think she liked it.

(better angle in the mirror... much less forehead)


And I made a third for my brother's long time girlfriend, Katie, who has handmade gifts for us again and again in years past--including knitted baby blankets so beautiful that I always use them for my kids' baby blessings. (Wait is that weird that I accessorize my kids with blankets?)


This was another long haul one. It probably took like a month. I made dozens of individual flowers, all different styes and sizes, and then stitched them all together. The effect was worth it, though, and I think she was pleased with it, which is the point, right? :)



5 comments:

  1. WOW so impressed! I need to learn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love my scarf and I love that you made it! I wore it to work the other day and sort of accessorized with it so I could keep it on all day long.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. Beautiful scarves... I will have to reference this post for later when I am feeling so inclined.

    2. Kosher or not, I have crocheted at church... BUT granted I have always done very repetitive, simple patterns that don't require much thought so I can still focus on the lesson. I never do anything complicated or that requires counting stitches. When I am thoughtful about it, I'll sit near the back so as not to distract anyone else. AND, if you're making a blanket, it's really nice to have the partially made blanket to drape over your legs and keep you warm while sitting in sacrament. Yeah... I guess I'm a bad mormon...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knit at church...Sacrament, Sunday school and Relief Society. small projects, like socks, either stockinet the or something with an easy pattern I don't have to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think its totally fine to crochet in sac. meeting. Maybe a little harder to get away with if you are sitting in a small class --I think as a teacher it would have annoyed me if I saw everyone doing something else during my lesson. BUT - its a class by class judgment.

    DO you have a link to tutorials? Where did you get your patterns or learn how to do the crocodile stitch??? I must know :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin