A little over an hour later we were packed up in the car on our way to a Priceline-d hotel in Richmond. It was a long drive, and at one point we had to use our magical Michael Buble mix to get Charlie to stop screaming and take a nap (Buble is is naptime kryptonite), but we had a great time.
We got to our hotel and it looked a little sketchy but inside... it. was. amazing. I officially never want to stay anywhere but the Embassy Suites when we travel with kids. Just ask Steve. I was blissed out.
Waterfall in the lobby. Hot, delicious breakfast including cereals, oatmeal, breads, fruit, and made-to-order bacon, sausage, and omelets. Luxurious towels & fancy soaps in the bathroom. Mini-fridge. Three sinks. Yes. Three.
But the best part was that our suite was two rooms. Which meant that at 7pm we opened up the pack'n'play, pulled out the fold-out-couch, and put our kids to bed in a completely different room. We could watch TV! Brush our teeth without worrying someone would wake up! We could turn on a kids' show for Grace in her room, and then leave the room. It was fantastic.
...Charlie liked to sneak into our room and play with the suitcase.
Our room was prettier than this, but this is the basic layout. :)

We had a pizza picnic our first night. Everybody was pretty happy about it.
And Charlie snacked on a remote. Not as tasty.
The next day we got up, ate a fabulous and leisurely breakfast, and drove the rest of the way to D.C. We visited some of the memorials. The war memorial was really pretty, and we found our states.
For the record, there is a lot of slope, so mine was a lot higher up than Steve's. He's not THAT much taller.
Great view of the Washington Monument. Oh! But we kept walking (to go visit Mr. Lincoln) and the reflecting pool was GONE! Just dirt. I guess they are refurbishing. But it was sad.
Charlie got a little crabby during his photoshoot with Daddy. Luckily we found a quick fix.
Somebody else was a little crabby, too. She and I were both placated by a lunch of bagels & cream cheese. Actually, I think Gracie had a soft pretzel.
Gracie told us that the White House looked like a castle, and when Steve told her President Obama lived there she started waving to him and yelling, "Obama! Obama, can you see me???"
When the day got too hot outdoors, we headed into the Smithsonian. Gracie loved all the giant animals.
And using a magnifying glass like Sid the Science Kid.
A whale!!!!
Ten points of you notice what's going on here.
Walking back to the car. I love the random photo ops you walk by in D.C.
We went back to the hotel for a second night to break up the trip (and because I really loved the sausage and the huge comfy bed). With no highchair for our messy eater, we had to improvise.
We made up for it by letting them watch some TV on our bed while we packed up. They seem to be okay with that deal.


Looks like SUCH a fun trip! We stayed at an Embassy Suites down in San Diego a few months back and we LOVED it too. I love Charlie's improvised high chair. ;)
ReplyDeleteLove the high chair idea! I've never thought of that!
ReplyDeleteAnd I think Gracie would be the most fun person to site see with. I can just see her eyes getting big and her shouting random things. We'll take her on our next trip.
Tying your child to the chair w/ a towel?!?!? Genius. Never done that. You got some GREAT pictures. And now I'M in love with Embassy Suites because of your post. How much did you end up getting the room for when you pricelined it? (I love how that's a verb now).
ReplyDeleteI will have to call you to walk me through how to tie my future children to chairs in the future.
ReplyDeleteEmbassy Suites is the best! Totally worth the little bit extra for the breakfast alone!!
ReplyDelete