Thursday, September 23, 2010

Help Please: Dinner &

Okay friends. I love doing these posts where you enlighten me, and it is time once again. Here's what I need:

1. Dinner ideas!

We're looking for (relatively) healthy stuff that doesn't take too long to cook. We've been wearing out our go-to's. We love chicken, pasta, fruits and veggies, and we're willing to try some new things (and stuff good for cold weather, which we hope is coming soon...?). I'd especially love anything that you can throw together fast/last-minute.

Also, fair is fair, so here are some of our recent go-to meals:

2. Weeknight/Date Night Ideas!!!

We love watching TV together, and that is usually how we unwind in the evening. Date nights at home usually consist of a fancy (well fancier than usual) dinner after Gracie is in bed (much more peaceful dining experience haha) and watching a movie. I love this, but I'm wondering--do you have any other ideas for hanging out in the evenings, date night or not? I'm game for any ideas!

8 comments:

  1. My go-to dish when I don't feel like going to the grocery store is hamburger stroganoff (sp?) Anyway, it is really easy and David LOVES it. Here is the recipe:
    1lb ground beef
    1 can cream of mushroom soup
    1 packet lipton dry onion soup mix
    12oz sour cream

    Brown the beef (I like to season it with garlic powder). Then add all the other stuff.
    We usually serve it over rice but you can serve it over noodles too.

    As far as date night goes-- we're still figuring that out ourselves. And we don't have our own cute little Gracie yet.

    Love ya!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Something Brett and I have been making lately when we're too tired is BLT's. Super easy just have to cook the bacon.

    Right now i'm tried and I just put in baked potatoes. They take an hour but you don't have to do anything, which is nice. We put beans, sour cream and cheese on top.

    Salsa Chicken in the crockpot is also a new fav of ours. Chicken, salsa, corn, beans. We eat with with tortillas or rice or both.

    I can't wait to see what everyone puts, its nice to get some new ideas.
    (the is krystle not brett)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here are some of my go-to meals that even both of our boys like!
    One is enchiladas and rice and since I only know how to make enchiladas in one quantity (enough to feed an army) so, I freeze 2/3 of what I make (and we still have left overs from the meal...) and that way I have a frozen meal ready to just throw in the oven for about an hour and all I have to do is make some rice!

    Another one of our favorites is black beans and rice. I will usually do the beans in the slow cooker (but the canned stuff can work), then with the rice you can add tomatoes, salsa, sour cream, cheese, lettuce... whatever sounds good!

    This time of year I love doing soups or stews, broccoli cheddar is definitely a favorite around here!

    As for date nights... well, we're not very good at "planning" them, so ours are pretty much the same thing... although I do have a little book I was given when we got married of FHE for newly weds and it has some cute little things to do as a couple (granted it's more as a getting to know you, starting up thing... but there are a couple that would work in there for any couple)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here are a few recipes from my cupboard/pantry:
    Tortilla Chicken Soup:
    1 onion, chopped and sauted
    12 oz can V-8 juice
    1 packet taco seasoning mix
    1 packet Hidden Valley Ranch Dip mix
    15 oz can kidney beans
    15 oz can pinto beans
    15 oz can corn
    15 oz can tomato chunks
    10 oz can chicken chuncks in broth, shred meat with your fingers
    3 cups water

    Toppings:
    grated cheddar cheese
    tortilla chips
    sour cream
    chopped green onions

    Dump all of the ingredients into a pan, including all of the juice in the cans. Heat for 30 minutes and serve. Add toppings as each individual desires.


    Quick, Easy Stirfry:
    1 lb. chicken breasts
    1 (28 oz.) package of frozen stirfry vegetables
    2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
    1 tablespoon sesame oil
    Salt & Pepper, to taste
    1 teaspoon ground ginger
    2 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds
    2 cups cooked brown rice

    Directions:
    Cut chicken into small bite-size pieces. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil on medium high heat in a large non-stick skillet. Saute chicken until golden brown for 3-4 minutes on each side. Remove chicken from skillet and set aside. Heat remaining olive oil and sesame oil in pan. Add frozen vegetables, ginger, and salt & pepper. Cook for 5-10 minutes on medium high heat. Vegetables should be bright and crisp. Add chicken back to skillet and heat through. Sprinkle toasted sesame seeds on just before serving. Serve immediately over 1/2 cup hot, steamed brown rice. Enjoy!

    Mushroom and Onion Pot Roast Sandwiches:
    3 medium onions sliced
    2 jars (4.5 oz each) sliced mushrooms, drained
    3 lb beef boneless rump roast
    1 can (14oz) beef broth
    1 envelope onion-mushroom soup mix
    12 French rolls, split

    Place onions and mushrooms in 3 1/2 - 4 quart slow cooker. Top with beef roast. Pour broth over beef. Sprinkle soup mix (dry) over beef. Cover and cook on low heat setting 8-10 hours.

    Remove beef from cooker; place on cutting board. Cut beef into 1/4 inch slices. To serve, fill rolls with beef. Remove onions and mushrooms from cooker, using slotted spoon, and place on beef. Serve juices in cooker in small individual bowls for dipping.

    Date ideas: picnics, explore the city or section of it (ours has a self-guided history walk), fruit/berry picking, or work on a project that we have been putting off.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are great you guys! Keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ok - do you read The pioneer woman? Google her (ree drummond) I snitch recipes from her religiously.

    Favorite dinners at the beal house (email me if you want any recipes!):
    chicken corn chowder in bread bowls
    Fash Tacos
    Southwest casserole
    Breakfast burritos
    BBQ chicken legs + baked potatoes
    Fancy Chicken salad on croissants
    Amish breakfast casserole
    Taco soup
    Taco casserole
    Lasagna

    Favorite Date Nights:
    Whats date night??? j/k. usually we watch tv. i need help here too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also struggle with thinking of what to fix for dinner, lately we have been eating a lot of spaghetti- very unoriginal.

    For hanging out in the evenings we love to play cards or dominoes- also, very unoriginal. Sorry I am no help, I'm kind of wondering why I even commented:) xoxoxo miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin