While at my CPE (Community Practice Experience) these last few weeks, I tried dropping some Southern phrases in with the patients. I'm becoming an expert on the "Yes ma'am" and the like, and I REALLY love dropping the phrase "right quick."
For example - I walked in on an elderly lady patient, and said (in my best Southern drawl - which isn't that good, honestly), "Hi, ma'am. My name is Steve and I'm a student here at Bowman Gray. I'll just be talkin' to you for a minute and then the doctor will be in here right quick."
The nurse was very proud of me.
Another wonderful thing about the South is friendliness among neighbors. I tried this on for size yesterday as well:
We have moved into our new house to get things settled before we head out of town. We pulled up yesterday, and our landlord's best friend was mowing the lawn. We said hello, had a chat, and he kept working. A little later, I heard his truck leaving, so I ran out to say goodbye.
While chatting with him, our neighbor (who we have been curious about because of their Wiener Dog Crossing sign in front of their house) comes over to talk with the friend. Afterwards, I introduced myself, and immediately invited her inside to meet Jamie and Gracie. She was a sweetheart, and introduced us to her boyfriend, Steve.
After chatting for a good while and saying goodbye, another lady comes knocking on the door. It was another neighbor who wanted to introduce herself and say hello. She is a spunky, sweet lady with dyed red hair, tattoos, and dark blue nails. Gracie was fascinated and loved her tattoos of butterflies and flowers.
After a while, our other neighbors came back WITH their two dachsunds, Mustang Sally and Skipper. Little Sally is a puppy that Gracie fell in love with immediately. It was adorable.
So there we were, sitting on our front steps, talking with three of our new neighbors, shooting the breeze in the cool evening, playing with puppies... It was picturesque.
Our little neighborhood is absolutely perfect.
I am SO happy for you all! And congratulations on the new baby. That is absolutely wonderful!!
ReplyDelete