Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Ask the Audience: What are Your "Life Hacks"?


Yes, this is staged.

I have been going absolutely crazy over trying to keep our house tidy, stay on top of work, spend as little as possible on groceries, and still get a minute to read a book. Over time I've come up with a few time-savers (a.k.a. "life hacks;" there are "parenting hacks," too), so I'll share mine with you, but I'm wondering--what little things do you do that help you keep your life in order? I am especially desperate to know how people keep their kitchens clean when there is an endless pile of dishes.

And as promised, here are some of my life hacks, for your enjoyment. :)

  • Vinegar. I use it for everything. It is a disinfectant, but it's natural. It cleans my floor, softens and disinfects gross laundry, washes the counters. It's an awesome de-greaser. The only downside is that it doesn't smell so pretty, but once it dries the scent fades. Plus because it is basically food, you can use it when your pregnant without worrying about fumes. Just to be super safe about the disinfecting, though, I still use a 1/100 bleach solution for the nastiest parts of the bathroom or if we have had eggs or raw meat on the kitchen counter. I hear you can use it as a rinse for your hair, too--haven't tried that yet.
    .
  • Automated bill pay. No postage, no forgotten bills. Enough said.
    .
  • Precooking. We cook chicken and/or ground beef once a week, then refrigerate it (only up to 5 days, though). It gets reheated (and sometimes seasoned a bit more) to go in pasta, tacos, and salads. I pre-make a double batch of pizza dough every two weeks (we have it every Tuesday) and a double batch of chocolate chip cookies. I ball those up and freeze them so they can get popped into the oven whenever, or bake them and freeze so they just need a minute of toaster oven time for delicious goodness.
    .
  • Meal planning. I just can't get into the groove of collecting a million coupons, so I've altered my shopping habits instead. I do a big grocery trip only twice a month, hitting a grocery store and Costco. Because our produce is usually gone or no good by the second week, we eat canned or frozen fruits and veggies with our meals (smoothies, frozen veggies, etc.). I've just started doing this, and it is nuts. It saves us money because there's less impulse buying and we are more careful with what we have because we've got a rule that about when the next shopping day is. We get creative. Plus we always know what's for dinner. I usually only plan two weeks (and I plan meals that can use leftover portions, like if we have stir fry one night I make extra rice for a meal a few days away and freeze it). Last month I planned the whole month, and it felt a little insane but worked really well.
    .
  • Baskets + snap-top boxes. They quell the tide of toys in Gracie's room and the living room, they hold in my baking goods, they manage the mess of extra cords that want to devour our closet, and they keep my freezer from exploding.
    .
  • Laundry days. Monday is clothing laundry day (+ clean-up-from-the-weekend day). I do only two kinds of loads--lights and darks. I only do a dedicated white load if something needs bleached. Gracie has her own load. I fold stuff as it comes out of the dryer, right into our basket, otherwise piles of clothes sit on our couch for days. Tuesday is for the linens--sheets and towels. I do blankets every few weeks.
    .
  • Google Calendar. I have it synced with our email in the sidebar so we always know what the other one is up to when we are trying to plan stuff. We also have a regular calendar in the kitchen.
Okay, so help!!! What else can I do so my house doesn't look like it exploded all the time?!

10 comments:

  1. Wow, you are awesome! I learned some cool things.

    We are currently in the process of getting rid of useless stuff that we have and I found some cool tips on http://flylady.net/index.asp You might find some fun stuff there. Some of the other girls around here are familiar with it too.

    Happy life hacking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love these!

    another great use for vinegar: sunburns. if you come home from the beach looking lobster-ish slather vinegar (white works best) generously all over the burns and leave on for 20 minutes before you take your shower. it seriously helps!! you may smell like a salad, but you most likely won't need to regrow you first few layers of skin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tips! I don't have a lot to advice when it comes to this kinda stuff, but regarding how to "keep the kitchen clean when there is an endless pile of dishes" I have become a believer in never letting the dishes pile up in the first place... I clean as I go, and even at dinner time if the meal can remain hot I clean up everything except for the pan dinner is still in and then before I go to bed I clean the rest of it like the pan and the serving dishes. (most of the time... if we have company or an extremely stressful day I catch up later). It seems a little tedious at times but mostly I just LOVE having a clean kitchen. and, whenever I'm done I ritualistically light a candle to complete the task:) I think I do this mostly because I love waking up to a clean kitchen in the mornings.

    I am jealous of your pre-planning meal skills!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ummm, sorry I have no tips for you. My whole goal is to wake up and leave my bomb shelter as quickly as I can before it explodes :) just kidding. sort of...but seriously I might adopt your laundry schedule!

    I love PEROXIDE!!! Its what hospitals use to disinfect EVERYTHING and it doesnt smell like bleach - but works exactly the same! Use it just like vinegar.

    Im a pantry snob - and I hate 50 boxes of open snacks. So I have snack buckets that hold random granola bars, fruit snacks, and little grab and go things. That way I never have a box with one granola bar in it taking up space! Plus Brigitte likes to get herself treats out of it.

    Index cards. They rule my life. If I had a nickel for every time I had to get up in the middle of the night to make a list...id be rich! Gabe and I like to have family council on sunday nights to plan out our week. Its nice to know whats coming and which nights I should make dinner!

    My biggest life hack: I get up before my daughter! Some days this is painful - but If I dont take a shower and get myself pulled together before shes up - my day turns wreckless. I like to focus on getting her ready and fed and make her mornings fun - instead of running around frazzled trying to do us both at once! its been life changing. it took me a whole year to figure that out!

    This was a fun post. dont be alarmed if you see it on my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these! Keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so on top of it!! Do you consult??? Please come on over to my life. I need some hacking help!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your post title-you are so creative! I like the precooking tips, I've never done that before. I'm going to try it.

    I don't know what to say about a clean house because mine is not always clean. I decided to assign household chores to certain days. On Mondays I go shopping and do errands. Tuesdays I cut up vegetables, make yogurt, and will now start cooking the week's worth of meat-thanks again! Wednesdays I do laundry. Thursdays are a to do list catch-up day. I do finances and pay bills on Friday, and clean on Saturday. I started doing this a few months ago and have I feel it's helped me out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this.

    I am feeling like I don't have any....Hum....

    Well,

    -When things we use are on sale i.e. tooth paste, shampoo etc. we buy a few so we don't have to buy them every few weeks (which is great because the less painful Wal-Mart trips the better.

    -I'm trying to get better at the meal planning, you've inspired me I think, we'll see :)...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your tips are so helpful. I don't know if I have much to offer.

    Some things that we do is with our ground meats- Hyrum usually buys a cut that is on a really good sale and asks them to ground it for us. Then we take it home and brown it immediately. We then portion them into baggies. So each time I am cooking a recipe that required ground meat, I take out one portion. I love it. It makes my life so much easier.

    One thing that I do for dishes is that I have a rule that I cannot make a new meal until I finish doing the dishes from the previous meal. And since Hyrum is gone all day with school and work, after dinner it is all daddy time with the girls while I wash the dishes and clean the kitchen for the night. It is a nice arrangement and the girls absolutely love having their Daddy read them stories and play with them at the evening time.

    Um...I hope that this helps! I love this post! Thanks for sharing your life hacks!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin