Saturday, January 9, 2010
verbal
We counted Miss Gracie's words on our winter vacation. She can say about 100, if you include people's names, and she adds more every day. When I took her for a checkup this week, the doctor told me she has the vocabulary of a 2 and a half year old. Look out!
My mom has always told me that I started talking when I got up and didn't stop until bed time. She had to tell me to "rest [my] mouth" sometimes to get a little quiet. But I am not at all disappointed to have a talkative little bug on my hands. I love words. I love their Greek and Latin roots, meanings, connections. I love comparing the same words in different languages, and working out their etymology for myself when I can. I love how they can be simple or elaborate, and the power that exudes from them when well combined. And I am secretly hoping Miss Gracie will love those things, too. Maybe she won't, and that would be okay, too. But if she does, we are going to have the best (geekiest) time enjoying them together.
(p.s. Don't you love how she insists on wearing Daddy's beanie? Sweet baby thug. She wears it with everything, or with nothing but a diaper--it is her accessory of choice.)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Brigitte is exactly the same way. We were sitting down at dinner a few nights ago adn I asked her, Brigitte Should we put you in the bath after this? And she looked at me and said "Bath? In a Minute!" and went back to chewing. We were shocked. She had never said bath, or in a minute before! She also now phrases everything into a desperate plea by adding 'pleeeease! For Brigitte?????' to the end of her questions. Like if only we knew who the cracker was for then she surely would get one! Its the best! I think her and Gracie would be little chatter friends. Although the noise level might be shocking for two such little peoples!
ReplyDeleteThat picture is ADORABLE.
ReplyDeleteI always knew my God-Baby was a genious :) Yeah, I was totally surprised with how many words Grace can say. So fun!
ReplyDelete