Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Whose Child is This?


Steve asserts that he is not tall. He also refuses to admit that he is six foot. True, compared to Britta's family, he is petite. But among the average population, I'd say he qualifies as tall. Not so for me, obviously. But Gracie is a giant.

Are you laughing?

At fifteen months, I weighed 18lb 11oz. At fourteen months, Gracie weighs in at a healthy, hearty 23lbs and 4oz, putting her in the 80th percentile for weight. (If you don't get it, that means that 80% of babies her age weigh less than her.)

At fifteen months, I was 28 inches tall. Gracie at 14 mos is 31 1/2 inches tall, meaning she's in the 97th percentile for height. Right. NINETY-SEVENTH. TALL. Taller than 97% of babies her age. She's going to be reaching things for me off the top shelf in no time. I know maybe little or nothing of what I'm doing has anything to do with her growing so big and strong and healthy, but I have to say, hearing the doctor say 97th made me feel pretty good.

Overall her appointment went pretty well. She enjoyed the jungle-theme of her room and the stuffed monkey dangling from the ceiling (she made lots of monkey noises) and was cute and fun for the nurse. She took the finger-prick for her blood test really well. She got weirdly hyper when the doctor came in. She needs more iron, but her verbal skills are apparently more on par with an 18 month old (a girl after her mama's heart... looks like we're in for some chatter! I love it!) which I thought was pretty cool.

Okay I'm looking through my baby book... I didn't reach Gracie's height until I was two years old, and her weight about six months after that.

Who wants to break it to Steve that he must be tall...?

3 comments:

  1. Yay Gracie! Good job being so big and strong. I'm so happy you're a healthy cutie. And don't worry about needing more iron, Gracie. I need more iron too. You just eat the right iron-y foods and you're set. Tell your mommy to make liver tonight! Love, "Auntie" Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve, you're tall. Wait, can I say that after the shout out in the blog? Yeah, I can. Good job, Gracie! And good job parents for raising her well! I wonder if you can get extra credit for baby sizes because i'm pretty sure mine will be in the 99.9% for that. I guess we'll see!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tell Grace not to worry, I always have low iron as well :)

    Also, I'm just glad that Grace wasn't in the 97th percentile when she came out of you.

    LOVE the update. And its true, none of the babies I know Grace's age even talk at all...she's so advanced!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin