Thursday, October 22, 2009

A Week in the Life: Wednesday

Last October I did a life-charting project called "A Week in the Life." The concept is pretty simple: its just what it sounds like it should be. You just get out your camera and snap pictures of everyday life as it is--laundry, grocery store, family dinner, etc.--however life may be that week. You also keep a detailed journal of each day. Then you just go through your pictures, organize them with your story, and voila: instant snapshot of your life. I'm excited to go back and review last year's as I work on this year to see how different (and the same) the daily comings and goings of our home are.

And so... day one...

Wednesday

Wake up at 7am with Steve (I admit, this is earlier than I usually get up these days--I can't believe the sun isn't up yet). As Steve preps for school I pack up a bag of snacks (2 bananas, 2 yogurts, cherry pop tarts) for him to munch on and start frantically finishing the cleaning I was supposed to do yesterday because I have baby-sitting co-op at our place at 9a.

Steve sits on the back of the couch and tells me he has hit panic mode about his test. It's going to be an intense study day for him. He gives me a kiss goodbye and rushes out.



DSC04600


Finish cleaning the kitchen floor + bathroom, get Gracie up and changed and drinking her morning bottle. I check my email on the Dell (new Mac is supposed to arrive today) and continue tidying. And remember I am supposed to be taking pictures.


DSC04598

Grace and I sit down for breakfast--granola and yogurt for me, applesauce ("ah-bah") and baby oatmeal for her. I feed her because its faster, and she's not too into that.


DSC04638

Abby and Suzi show up at 9, and she hangs out to talk for a while. We catch up on books and discuss the mommy-shock of having babies who want to assert their independence.


DSC04648

Abby deals really well when she heads out to shop, and she and Gracie have a baby party in Gracie's room.


DSC04635

They do pretty good but fight over Gracie's rocker, so naturally I plop one in each rocker and rock them at the same time, which they dig big time. Gracie even figures out how to rock herself in the big rocker, mimicking my enthusiastic "Wee!" as she rocks harder and harder.


DSC04730

Suzi comes back with--BONUS!--a whole bunch of cute hand-me-down clothes! She heads out with Abby and leaves Gracie and I to eat lunch--tomatoes and rice cakes for her, leftover margherita pizza for me. Mmm.


DSC04659

DSC04661


DSC04663

And then we have a playtime photo shoot.


DSC04674

I get back on the Dell to check something and it collapses into the eighth? Fourteenth? Blue-Screen-Of-Death I've seen this week (hence ordering the Mac). And then a package arrives!!!


DSC04686

Welcome to your knew home you beautiful piece of technology! Gracie goes down for a nap and I happily peruse the user guide, and when the Dell dies yet again, I decide to set up the Mac. It says hello to me in several languages. I have a minor mishap, which will be revealed in a later post, but all turns out well.


DSC04706

I have to get the Dell going again to finish work, so my desk looks a little ridiculous for a while. :) Steve and I try out the video chat on the Mac, but he's studying at the fishbowl (study lounge at school) so I talk, he listens, then types back.


DSC04712

Gracie gets up and shows me the owl on her shirt ("Hoo! Hoo!"), has a change, a bottle, and a meltdown. I keep her up long enough to play with Steve and then put her back down to see if she needs more nap.


DSC04725

Free time? Nap time for Steve. I finish reading The Zookeeper's Wife for bookclub tonight while he naps. It's SO luxurious to lay down and read in bed in the middle of the afternoon.


DSC04721

Grace eats dinner--bananas, one of her favs.


DSC04724

What's your deal mom?


DSC04737

DSC04738

DSC04739

Steve and the Mac meet for the first or second time.


Photo on 2009-10-21 at 16.01 #2

They are happy together.


DSC04742

DSC04744

We have an easy frozen skillet thing for dinner, then Steve and Gracie have a playtime.


DSC04599

Then I head off to book club at Madeline's, enjoy talking about the book (as well as the Office, potty training, labor, old houses, and trick-or-treating). When I get home, Steve studies and plays some video games while I mess around trying to learn iMovie. At midnight we have cookies and watch an episode of the Office, then finally, finally, time for sleep.

1 comment:

  1. Week in the life... that is a great idea! I think I will try it.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin