Saturday, August 22, 2009

The Family Grows


Emily is my first dear friend (and sister-in-law!) to have a baby, so the birth of her sweet daughter (who was finally titled Adelaide Rose) was incredibly special to me. Adelaide is the first little one to enter my adult life, and I am so so thrilled that she also let me take on the mantle of aunthood (doesn't that sound grand and romantic!?!).

But really, it was an amazing experience to be able to share just a little bit of Emily's pregnancy, to hear her stories and preparations and excitement. When Jessica texted at 2am to tell us Em was in labor I was so excited for her, and all day as she went through a 15 hour labor I was worried and anxious and didn't know what to do with myself. I hated being thousands of miles away, but even if I were closer, there wouldn't have been much I could do. Steve and I were so proud of her for being so strong and brave--Emily is amazing. She had a natural childbirth at home, just like she'd wanted, and that is such a wonderful blessing.

So now we (Gracie and I) are here, with Jessica and Michelle (Steve's sister and mom), and it is actually really emotional. I love this little girl. She seems to get more beautiful every day. I love her mama. I have never seen such a radiantly happy new mom. She will be incredible. Adelaide is a lucky girl.

It's also been a big reminder of Steve's and my first days of parenthood, and how difficult and wonderful they were. How happy we were to have Gracie, and how amazed I am by how deeply I love her, and that it can increase exponentially with the passage of time. One year ago this Monday we finally got to hold our baby girl in our arms. I don't even know if I can describe the miracle that she has been to us.

And now we get Adelaide. I can't wait to send her mail, and make her things, and play princesses or tea party with her, and see her and Gracie grow up together. I can't believe how small and sweet and perfect she is.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin